bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to write English in Merlin (TV Series) style? I find the writing style of the show Merlin to be very good, and much better than current/modern English usage. Details about the show can - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The problem with trying to emulate a particular writing style like this is that it isn't really based on any true historical language. The period is intended to represent the early Middle Ages, but realistically they didn't speak any language we would readily identify today as English. What you have here is a contrived language style that is intended to make the listener believe they are in a different time.

If you look back at this particular example, one of the things you will notice is the lack of apostrophes. When writing fantasy novels, I almost never use them in my dialog. So rather than say "I can't condone sorcery" it would be written as "I can not condone sorcery". The idea is to try to make it seem more formal and more distinct than what we commonly hear on a day to day basis.

There are other things that are being done to help make the listener (reader) feel as if they are in a different time period, and it is up to you as the writer to get this across. Just the mention of sorcery or dragons is a step in the right direction!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best