bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I get in trouble for discrimination by writing an epic fantasy based on Medieval England like Lord of the Rings? The Lord of the Rings has been criticized by actor John Boyega for having - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You Bet You Will — Welcome to Writing!

I agree with @JasonBassford , there will always be someone who thinks you haven't achieved the social ideal d'jour.

Could you imagine the argument between supporters of gender diversity and the writer of a far-future sci-fi novel where, "quite obviously," the science behind gender is understood and, in that novel, the politics of the day simply (and automatically!) adjusted genetics at birth to ensure only a bi-gender species? Such a novel would generate a wheelbarrow load of hate.

But what if the author did that intentionally to explore (and invite others to explore) the sociological implications of advancing science?

Either way, that's part of the joy of being a writer. It's your story. But you should be prepared for criticism. You could try to avoid that trouble by writing a story that included every minority of every type you can think of.

Of course, then you'd be attacked for including diversity that didn't conform to the genre or didn't reflect the time period you were using for inspiration.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Welcome to writing!

But, more importantly, what kind of trouble can you get into? You will not get into legal trouble. I believe you would only face social criticism. In other words, you're good to go. Just remember that your right to speak freely is balanced by everyone else's right to speak freely — and speak they will. You'll need to grow a thick skin, but for a writer, that's part of the job.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best