bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I get in trouble for discrimination by writing an epic fantasy based on Medieval England like Lord of the Rings? The Lord of the Rings has been criticized by actor John Boyega for having - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

To be honest, I would not take people seriously who attack you. (Not everyone does this, I know, but many do appear to be offended too easily) Write what characters you want to. Just do some research and remember to include accurate descriptions. If you are making a character in a place that is mainly white, that is your choice. In the book I am currently writing, there are more POC people than white people (white people are considered exotic), but that's only because it's set in a place where people evolved to have darker skin. At some point my character will come across a land where there are more white people, but that's really just based off of the geography of my world.

Just remember to keep in mind geography, evolution, and to research. A place that gets more sun is going to have darker skinned people than a place that doesn't get as much sun. And there are immigrants, which you can add.

Also remember that The Lord of the Rings was made in a time period where it was considered more acceptable to have an all-white cast, but now it's not. I would just add characters that seem right for the story if I were you.

And try to keep the gender balanced (somewhat), or at least mark down the ratio of men to women.

Good luck on your story!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best