bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I want to write a book, but I don't know if it's "too sexist" I'm writing a story, and it's like this so far: A boy watches his family get slaughtered before him, he has to become a slave - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm writing a story, and it's like this so far: A boy watches his family get slaughtered before him, he has to become a slave to survive, and then somehow ends up in the position to save a kingdom.

Now, that's not the part I'm worried about. What I'm worried about is if the society (and culture) is too sexist. Here's how it goes:

(Hierarchy) Fertile women are the most valued, barren women the second most valued, children third, fertile men fourth, and barren men third. Trans people are allowed to transition, but only to a certain point and have a certain role in society. Trans women must wear a band around their arm and are in a social position that is less than children, but higher than fertile males. Trans men are looked down upon even more than a barren male, but hold the same position as an asexual male. Homosexuals can exist, but it depends on your gender for what your social position is. Lesbians are looked upon higher than fertile women or heterosexual women, but gay men are looked down upon more than fertile men, but not as much as barren men (since they can have sex with women, but don't want to). Asexual men are looked down upon more than gay men, but not as much as barren men (due to the fact that they don't want to have sex at all). Girls are seen as higher than boys.

(Values) Fertility, gender, sexuality, birth status, and age are valued very much, depending on which group it is. A fertile person is seen higher than a barren person, a woman is seen higher than a man, a lesbian is seen higher than a heterosexual woman, a heterosexual woman is seen higher than a heterosexual man, a heterosexual man is seen higher than a gay man, a cis woman is seen higher than a trans woman, a trans woman is seen higher than a man, a fertile man is seen higher than a trans man, a trans man is seen higher than a barren man, women are seen higher than children, children are seen higher than men, and so forth.

(Political power and representation) Women are leaders much more often, while men are rarely leaders and sometimes not even allowed to be leaders. Men are common soldiers, or other workers. Women can choose to be common soldiers, but it's looked down upon.

(Child preference) Girls are preferred to boys, and even though there are about 108 boys born for every 100 girls, boys are usually killed off or left to die so that there are about 73 boys for every 100 girls (42.2% of all surviving children). When they grow to the age of 16 (adult in this world), there are about 61 boys for every girl (37.89% of all surviving people at this age). As it people get older, there is a 2% decrease of men each year.

There is also rampant misandry, wars (there is almost never a time when there isn't some sort of war going on), great divide between rich and poor, queen bee syndrome, more violence, and more.

My purpose in writing this is to have a story in which people can see a boy rescue a kingdom, but I also want to show people the effects of misandry and other discrimination without shoving it in people's faces, but still show that it is there. I'm also expierimenting with what a matirarchy would most look like.

My question is, Is it too sexist? If so, in what ways? How can I fix it? Etc.

I know that some people will say that it's too much no matter what, but that's not the point of my question. The point is to see if it's TOO sexist and how to fix that.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I do not think that a sexist world is necessarily bad in a book. Margaret Atwood has written books in worlds sexist and otherwise discriminating and gotten praised for it. As long as your character is not a supporter of an this institution - e.g. he feels he should be equal, he has male best friends - or you show that the system does not work, it should not be badly received by a majority of readers.

However, this may not be true. Many people may still find this very sexist and evil. Therefore, I would suggest possibly marginalizing the description of the social position you have here. Ignoring the intricacies - only telling the reader that women are in charge, and that some women are better than others, may allow your readers to ignore the discrimination.

Load Full (0)