logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How to detach yourself from a character you're going to kill? So, in a WW2-ish story featuring a co-ed military, I have a female soldier who is very kind and caring. I'm setting her up to

XinRu607 @XinRu607

My mom had trouble with this as well. The character was opposite, though: he was a bad guy. She tried killing him, multiple ways, but couldn't bring herself to do it.

Now, I personally haven't had a character that I've been attached to but needed to kill (yet), so I don't know what it's like, but I can give you some ways.

Try to un-attach yourself. You do that in whatever way you can. Imagine in your head her doing something terrible and out-of-character (but don't put it in the book) or just try to see what makes you attached to her and sever it.
Find different ways to kill her. Try out different senarios and see what works best. You need to give her a sad ending, so the reader and other characters understand that this is war, not a game.
Have other people help you. Have them find ways to kill her or whatever else.

That's all I have. Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm seeing other people say don't detach yourself, which is good and could be very useful, but I would persoanlly use the way I have provided. Your choice.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme