logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How can I describe an incredible release of power, realistically In my writing, a goddess is removed from her position as a god and reduced to a human. (See my previous question) At the moment

Cooney417 @Cooney417

Posted in: #CreativeWriting #Description #Fantasy

In my writing, a goddess is removed from her position as a god and reduced to a human. (See my previous question) At the moment of the loss of power huge amounts of energy would be released into the aether, creating a large, magical, overload.

The goddess is a god of creation, magic and protection. She is a good, loving and caring person, with huge power. She would not allow her power to destroy anything and would not want any "collateral damage."

How can I realistically portray the power leaving a goddess into the aether, and show its magnitude, without it causing damage to the surroundings?

Edit

The energy release is huge - a world changing event - and the energy is spread to the rest of the universe, meaning that the power is still there but the intent and manipulation of the goddess is not their

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Murray831

Murray831 @Murray831

All of the advice given already is really good, definitely think about that. My suggestion relates more to the actual narrative description. Often times the most powerful way to "describe" something in writing is to give as little description as possible.

William Golding uses this several times in Lord of the Flies to make deep emotional impact on the reader. For example, when Simon dies, the only description we have of his actual death comes in one line, "Even in the rain they could see how small a beast it was; and already its blood was staining the sand." There's a lot of description leading up to this, but once he gets to the punchline, Golding gives only a bit of descriptive narration.

It seems to me the power of this is in forcing the reader to draw a conclusion on their own. It has to be used carefully, because you don't want to confuse people, but implication can be a very powerful tool when used right.

Obviously this isn't the only way or even necessarily the best way to write your narrative, but I think it's something worth considering.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Shakeerah107

Shakeerah107 @Shakeerah107

@acid -kritana raises some good questions but those not withstanding, one suggestion I would make is that to show the destructive power, have the power destroy.

Show its destructive nature - how it destroys and burns and razes things to the ground but then, since the goddess, as you say is a caring and loving person, she "reins it in", her love battling the destructive nature of the power and controlling it, pulling it inwards in a kind of implosion at the end of which the power escapes into the aether. While at the same time her love heals the destruction in a final act of her intentional use of the power.

Hope this helps.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@XinRu607

XinRu607 @XinRu607

It depends. Answer these questions first:

What kind of energy is it?
How is it released?
Does the energy go somewhere, or does it just vanish?
How big is the energy release, if there is one?
What else should you know about the energy and the release of the energy?

Now that you've answered these questions, it's time to analyze them.

Depending on the energy, it will do different things. Take a list of the kind of energies (magic) that are in your world, and what they possibly could do. What do they do normally? What do they do when uncontrolled? What do they do when released?
How is it released? Is it just taken away? Is it released upon the world? Does it shrivel inside her? Etc.
Where does the energy go? It's about the same as question 2, but it focus on what happens to the said energy.
How big is the said energy release? Is it small? Is it big? Is it vicious? Is it dangerous? Is it calm? Etc.
Think about the energy release and what else comes to mind.

Once you have these, you should know.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme