logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How do I write characters that aren't just a copy of myself? I am finding it difficult to create fictional characters with personalities that are not a copy of myself. I'm having trouble trying

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Read obscure texts. I'm currently writing a novel where I'm blatantly stealing a character from a novel written in 1800. I'm sure nobody has ever heard of the original character because this Chinese novel was never translated into English.

Ok, you don't have to go that obscure. But pick your favourite character from a book you really like. Just don't pick Harry Potter. Change enough details to make them unrecognisable.

When writing your story, really get into their heads. Remember that every character is the hero of his own story. Did you (the author) not give Mr. Sneed enough action last chapter, leaving him stuck in the office all week? Mr. Sneed is bitter about that. He's angry about his fate. After all, he's the true hero of this story!

Try to see the world from their POV.

When the "hero" captures Mr. Sneed and puts him behind bars, Mr. Sneed is filled with righteous indignation. Is there no justice in this world?

Everyone thinks that the "hero" is some sort of godsend... but only Mr. Sneed knows the truth.

People are sheep.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme