logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How can I introduce a new POV late in my book? In the book I am writing, the first seven chapters are from the POV of one character. In chapter 8, I am planning to add a second POV character.

Cooney417 @Cooney417

Posted in: #Characters #Pov #Timelines

In the book I am writing, the first seven chapters are from the POV of one character. In chapter 8, I am planning to add a second POV character. I will probably also add a third POV character in chapters 15 through 20 (I hope for the book to be around fifty chapters). I will switch between the characters after I introduce them, exploring different subplots.

However, the second subplot is only relevant after reading the first seven chapters, so I cannot bring in the new protagonist earlier.

How can I make these new POVs less disorienting to a reader (who probably did not expect multiple POV's)?

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@BetL639

BetL639 @BetL639

In Robert A. Heinlein's book, Podkayne of Mars, the narrative is from the viewpoint of Podkayne. Late in the book, she is killed (or not killed, depending upon which version you read) and the narrative is taken over by her brother, Clark. He simply states something along the lines of, "I am writing in the diary now." So, you could have the character announce the change of viewpoint in the story, as Heinlein did.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Smith147

Smith147 @Smith147

One way to make the transition easier is to have more Points of View - chapters or interludes where the main character is not the POV. For example, if the main character tells someone that they are going to bed, and will see them in the morning, you can follow the other character overnight, and hand the POV back to the main character when they meet up again. It needn't be long - just a paragraph or two at a time - but it will help the reader to expect POV changes.

This has 2 additional effects: first, the Primary Protagonist can carry out actions that the reader hasn't seen (be sure to add hints though, so that the reader can work out afterwards what they did when, and maybe even work it out before the reveal) and, secondly, it will initially obscure that the new character is going to be a Secondary Protagonist; the reader is used to diverting to different POVs, so won't realise the character's importance until they notice how lengthy or frequent their POV sections are.

As an example of this type of hand-off, you could consider the first chapter of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone" (Or, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", for Philistines Americans). The chapter starts with Vernon Dursley's POV, swaps with a clear transition to Professor McGonagall's POV, and then blurs ambiguously into Professor Dumbledore's POV at some point for a brief moment, before jumping to Harry himself for the final paragraph.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Frith254

Frith254 @Frith254

One thing you could do is divide the book in Parts that encompass several chapters and possibly even label them by the point of view character.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme