logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Characters with apostrophe names I have created a world, and one of the cultures has mainly apostrophe names - Vax'Ildan, Vex'Ahlia, Soih'Ym... How would this work grammatically - possessive and

Cooney417 @Cooney417

Posted in: #Characters #Grammar #Naming

I have created a world, and one of the cultures has mainly apostrophe names - Vax'Ildan, Vex'Ahlia, Soih'Ym...

How would this work grammatically - possessive and nicknames, in writing?

(To forestall any comments or answers, no I cannot change their culture, or names - for argument's sake, say I'm writing fanfiction with these names already existing.)

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Kristi637

Kristi637 @Kristi637

They all sound pretty good. As long as you keep the names in that direction (i.e. don't name one Fred out of nowhere), it should be completely fine. And like @RobJarvis said, make sure you keep the possessive of names like "Sov'Yk's", not "Sov'Yk"s".

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Murray831

Murray831 @Murray831

As far as possessives, nothing should change provided the apostrophe that is part of the name does not appear as the final character in the name:

Vex'Ahlia's coat would be fine, but
A name like Sov'Yk' (not one of your examples, but just for argument's sake) would present its own problems.

(I would prefer to see Sov'Yk's shirt over Sov'Yk''s shirt, for example.)
As far as nicknames, you should be free to create variations on the character's name that sound natural.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme