bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to show a character with multiple personalitites? To preface this, I have seen the question multiple personalities characters speech in text and I feel that my question is different enough, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I feel drop hints, like when you write a scene imagine how both characters will act and make note of the difference between them. If for example a character switches part way then show a distinct difference based on their personalities.
As you said Suoti is a gaming personality so I am assuming they are more of the teasing type I would say not have Niar/Suoti give a name, but be ambiguous for example-
> "My name is Eben - who are you?" inquired the old man.
>
> "Who am I, that depends who do you think I am, am I really that
> person, sometimes I could be me, maybe I'm someone whose to say you
> are really who you say they are a name is just label, but doesn't mean
> it matches the person." The girl replied playfully with a teasing look as she giggles at the old mans expense.

See there you don't exactly state who she is, but you express a personality instead, readers won't know if she is just being playful or if her words mean somthing more. Give the reply based on which ever personality is in control and how they would express themselves, consider if the personality treats themselves as an I or we? Do they consider themselves the same person or two different people. How would one's answer be different then the other.
Another way is to add a shift at some point for example.
> "My name is Eben - who are you?" inquired the old man.

> A shift seemed to appeared in Niar's eyes as she considered a reply.

Your not stating it clearly, but your implying somthing changed, you can get the same effects with different ways like a pause or blank look before they answer. You can even add personal quirks like maybe Suoti plays with her hair as where Niar doesn't and Suoti tends to do that whenever she switches in.
Either show the sign in the narrative, dialogue or personality. You don't need to out right say, but do somthing that the read may find odd or can be seen as foreshadowing for it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murphy332

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best