bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I recover my confidence after a harsh writing group? Having majored in writing in my undergraduate studies, I spent lots of time getting critiques from my fellow students, some of whom - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

NaNoWriMo

Tens of thousands of lunatics collectively deciding to write an entire novel apiece in 30 days.

My hang-ups came from a different place, but I had the same apprehensions as you. I'm a coder; in the computer world, there is a right way and a wrong way to write something, and I kept over-analyzing my writing looking for an objective measure of elegance or perfection that doesn't exist.

When I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for the first time, the quantity-not-quality focus did wonders for me. Not only did the volume of my writing increase, but (surprisingly) so did the quality, because I was forced not to over-analyze. After all, as long as you make your word count during NaNoWriMo, you can always edit out the garbage in December. ;)

It's probably a little late to try for 50,000 words this November, but small groups or individuals often do off-season NaNoWriMos in other months, and each summer there is NaNoScripMo (like NaNoWriMo but for plays/screenplays).

You can also use the same mentality outside of NaNoWriMo: take a period of a few weeks and focus solely on ridiculous word count goals, to the exclusion of all else. See how it changes your perspective.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best