logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What is the literary term for a technique where expectation is built up by hinting at the future? I've been reading a fantasy-novel series where the author cleverly seeds expectation in the

Deb2945533 @Deb2945533

Posted in: #Technique

I've been reading a fantasy-novel series where the author cleverly seeds expectation in the reader. This works as a hook to continue reading.
It's an audio-book, so I can't easily riffle through to find an instance. I'll give a rather bland and generic example of my own devising in the hope that you can understand.

John thought to himself, "There must be a way to get out of this awful situation"
"but there isn't", he concluded, "If only ..."
The important factor is that earlier in the story, Mary has been shown
to have some knowledge or ability that would help John. We know it
but John doesn't.
This builds tension for the reader. Will they meet? Will John's problem be solved? Will they fall in love?

What is the term that fits this? Is it a blanket term, or are there subdivisions of it?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Chiappetta298

Chiappetta298 @Chiappetta298

This sounds a bit like dramatic irony. Defined as when the audience knows something about the story that the characters are unaware of, it can have a similar effect to what you're referring to, creating tension and anticipation.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cugini967

Cugini967 @Cugini967

Foreshadowing.
Mostly divided into four types (although not everyone agrees on this)

direct foreshadowing: clear/open direct hints at the outcome (mostly in dialogue or internal monologue)
indirect foreshadowing: subtle, indirect hints about the possible plotline
prophesy: a crucial event is foretold, usually in an obscure manner and without giving away details
omens/symbolism: use of symbolic elements or superstitions e.g., the appearance of a raven (or hadida in some African countries) on a roof is said to predict a death under that roof

Sometimes indirect foreshadowing or omens are difficult to see or interpret, and sometimes they are misinterpreted. Some authors will even tell you a lot of the so-called indirect foreshadowing and or omens in their stories are the invention of the reviewer/critic and not intentional.
You can read more at:
literaryterms.net/foreshadowing/ udleditions.cast.org/craft_elm_foreshadowing.html literarydevices.net/foreshadowing/ https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-foreshadowing-foreshadowing-literary-device-tips-and-examples#5-foreshadowing-examples-and-techniques

When looking for explanations or definitions, the Literary Terms and Author's Craft sites are good resources, especially for people who are new at writing, as it also has some tips and tricks. Unfortunately, both of them have pretty useless internal search functions, so you would do well to brush up on your google-fu (or bing-fu if you must). Also, as a general tip: don't use Wikipedia as your only or even main source.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme