bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to research and create an authentic setting for a story set in a foreign country? As a writer, for authenticity and to avoid distracting errors, I need to portray my story setting correctly. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you can't visit in person, I recommend setting up remote interviews with first-hand participants in the environment you are writing about.
For example, to create a realistic hospital setting, I'd recommend interviewing former inpatients and nursing staff. If you have a specific region (e.g., Los Angeles) in mind, you could post a notice on the LA craigslist.com or maybe nextdoor.com. Announce that you are researching for a writing project and ask for volunteers to contribute their stories. Include notes about any specific aspects you're interested in, such as staying overnight. Promise anonymity. Avoid offering financial compensation: You'll get fewer volunteers - but they're more likely to be real ones.
Side note about the differences in our healthcare landscapes: I'm guessing that the UK's NHS has policies that apply equally to most hospitals. In contrast, hospitals in the US are run by a patchwork of non-public healthcare organizations. Each organization has its own policies. Although these policies vary, they are driven by many of the same financial, legislative, and legal considerations.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best