bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Alternatives for the over use of her and she in action scenes I am really struggling to try and cut out repetitive use of the word 'her' and 'she' in action scenes while still trying to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Good question, I have to say. In a lot of these cases I'd advocate switching between third, first and even second person narrative for fast-paced single character sections (not formally switching, but just inserting first or second person sentences here and there to denote thoughts without actually using 'She thought...'. This ties in pretty well with @JasonBassford 's answer about using the present tense a bit more - it becomes more subtle if you avoid the 'ing' form of verbs, like 'The forest is still' rather than 'was still'.
However please note that this does constitute a quite major adjustment to the writing style; I did try it on the sample you provided but ditched the results as it would probably be quite inconsistent with the rest of the narrative. Is the question something that you want to apply throughout the action scenes in the whole narrative?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best