bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: My protagonist being needed for my story is a life changing event, does that mean the event needs to be in my story? My protagonist is a first-generation native on a colony world. The general - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This might be completely personal preference, but I would definitely start with the whole exploring thing. It's a great way to establish your MC, and can act as a good contrast to the more compelling segment that comes later as things start to get serious. It can give your story a kind of scary shift, making your reader comfortable in the setting of the MC peacefully exploring the planet, with the occasional minor conflict here and there, before suddenly slamming the reader with a looming threat.
The whole shift in treatment, the MC being an unproductive outcast at first and then suddenly becoming essential, that is gold. You want to harvest the goods of that aspect, and to maximize the impact of that shift, you can't just include it as flashbacks. The reader needs to experience this gloomy state of being an outcast, and then experience the thrill of finally being accepted again, as well as the thrill of proving everybody wrong by the MC showing their worth.
Though, this is probably mostly my opinion and not the objectively better way to structure your narrative.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best