bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to create unique dialogue for characters? So, one of my problems is that I have trouble giving my characters unique voices. They usually all sound the same. I may say that they have - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

When I started writing, I used to have these thoughts too. All my characters sound the bloody same.
(Every time, I see the word 'Bloody', I am reminded of Ronald Weasley)
First of all, it may not be the case. As the writer creating the story, you already know how it will map out and probably that's why everything seems to be in monotone.
If your characters are too similar, creating a character chart will get you into the set.
A few tricks that have worked for me are:

Ask questions about your characters that may or may not be necessary to your story. This will help you to know your character as another person and not as a figment of your imagination.
Know a lot about your character. Looks, quirks, words, style, etc.

(Are they short, Do they smoke, any quirks they have, Do they bite nails when they're nervous, Words they use during anger, Do they have any unique traits)

Go outside and observe people. Converse to strangers and sense their styles.
Way of talking, word usage, accent, dressing style, thought process.

(I have a weird hobby of walking whenever I'm stuck in a story. I go out without earphones and just see several people. Helps a lot with profiling several characters)

Use a wide range of characters and combine several traits.

Extrovert, introvert, pessimist, narcissist, harsh, rude, kind, forgiving, etc. Use several adjectives for a single character profiling.

Initially, try to imitate your friends' chats for the characters.
Once, you start getting the hang of it, random people you meet will inspire your story in many ways.

Hope this helps!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best