logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Correctly phrasing a sentence containing "along with" followed by a list I have the following sentence structure and I am wondering about the best way to phrase it: "Along with A, B, C

Alves689 @Alves689

Posted in: #Formatting #Grammar #Punctuation

I have the following sentence structure and I am wondering about the best way to phrase it:
"Along with A, B, C and D have been shown to influence the production of E."
What I am trying to convey here is that while it is well understood that "A" influences the production of "E", the reader should also be aware that "B, C and D" also influence the production of "E". Of course I could write it out in this fashion but this is much more wordy. As such, I am wondering if there is a structure or set of punctuation to make this meaning clear in relatively few words.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Annie587

Annie587 @Annie587

The simplest way to reconstruct this for clarity, without changing any of the words, is to move the location of the dependent clause:

B, C and D, along with A, have been shown to influence the production of E.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Candy753

Candy753 @Candy753

The way your sentence is currently worded isn't wrong, but it may cause some grammatical confusion.
You could read it as you intended:
Or you could read it as:
Which is somewhat grammatically confusing, and the reader will have to read it again to understand that "along with A" belongs in its own separate thought. Since the letters are placed so close together, this incorrect reading will probably be the way most people first read it, and it will probably cause unwanted bewilderment about what you were trying to say.
So first we should clarify what you mean and place the letters far apart. Maybe something along the lines of:
"Although A has been shown to influence the production of E, so have B, C and D."
But since you've asked for conciseness, we can probably shave some words here and make it much simpler:
"A influences E's production, but so do B, C, and D."

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme