logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How do I write "fantasy counterpart cultures" without being accused of cultural appropriation? In my book series, the various planets of the galaxy are inhabited by different cultures, most of

Kristi637 @Kristi637

Well first, let me say nothing you can do can stop people from accusing you of cultural appropriation because anyone can accuse you of anything if they want. However I can give you some tips on decreasing the chances.

Mix things up: Don't just copy and paste one culture from our world into yours, but instead borrow elements from multiple cultures and combine them together. Then add some original elements that you made up yourself. That way your culture will look as if it's inspired by but not copied from our world.

Borrow from dead cultures. No one is going to accuse you of cultural appropriation if you are borrowing from the ancient Babylonians or the ancient Romans.

Cultural appropriate from Europe. No one cares if you are cultural appropriating as long as it's from a European culture.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme