bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I keep up with current written English language? I am a speaker of English as a foreign language. I appreciate that English is a living language and that different regions in the world - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you want to keep up with written English, read newspapers and magazines (preferably weekly, but also monthly).

Newspapers, meant to be daily, cover news, politics, opinions, business, human interest, tech, medicine, sports, and entertainment (among many other subjects). New terms can enter from any angle.

Magazines can either be weekly or monthly. Weekly magazines will be a little fresher with their use of slang; monthly magazines are usually more niche-oriented and will be heavier with jargon from a particular industry or hobby. If some phrase has reached a monthly magazine, it's more likely to be entrenched in the lexicon, since publication lead time is two to three months.

Most periodicals have websites where some or all of their content is reproduced.

Entertainment periodicals will have more creative writing than news outlets, but you can find creative writing in the opinion sections as well. Monthly magazines can have a fiction component.

Just off the top of my head, I can suggest (note that this does not imply endorsement of content):

The New York Times
The Los Angeles Times
The Washington Post
The Chicago Tribune
Entertainment Weekly
Newsweek
Time
The New Yorker
The Atlantic

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451