bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Are illustrations in novels frowned upon? Lately I've been thinking that I don't know of a single novel that has illustrations in it. I've tried finding out the reason why, and came across - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I see that the question is this:

But in a situation where the writer also likes to draw / illustrate and is not bound by cost (an e-book for example), would there be any drawbacks from providing pictures with the novel?

It’s generated a lively conversation about the merits of illustrations in novels and the considerations on the publisher’s end.
I would think the only drawbacks in adding illustrations to an ebook would be creative, and practical as far as the execution of the images.
If illustrations aren’t required, or if they wouldn’t add to the experience of reading the book then they’d be extraneous. Less is often more. It would also be an issue if they were used as a crutch to “illustrate” the story instead of the prose illustrating the story, if you get my drift.
In some cases illustrations (diagrams, maps, etc.) could be necessary in conveying the story to the reader. However this brings up the issue of future reprints, and whether the illustrations would come with the prose in a future print.
If illustrations aren’t necessary, they’re icing on the cake. So here the consideration is first that it wouldn’t detract from the text by cluttering it. But, if the text could use some images to decorate it, it’s a serious issue that the illustrations be of 1) professional technical quality and 2) be talented interpretations of the text. In other words, the images have to be executed by a someone who is technically competent in drawing. Then, importantly, the illustrator has to have a subtle talent of interpretation.
For an ebook the author isn’t very likely to have the budget to hire a professional illustrator.
If there’s a way to keep it simple, okay, but then use discretion to be sure the images do add to the artistic value of the book.
Kate Bunting brings up the interesting point that in the Victorian days novels were often illustrated. It added to the readers’ enjoyment and it became Cost effective for publishers based on new printing technologies. It looks like it ended as a trend with the coming of movies.

Historians of Western illustrated fiction mostly agree that film replaced the illustrated book. A review of the 1915 film adaptation of Vanity Fair said that "the reels make a set of illustrations superior to the conventional pen-pictures of a deluxe edition."

Also novels were becoming more abstract and “modernist” i.e. internalized and disjointed, so illustration was less appropriate. Before this, some serious writers like Henry James thought they were redundant to the inherent visuals in his prose, other writers were concerned the illustrations could misinterpret the writing.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best