bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I internalize style through imitation? Books I have read and people have said that imitation of a great author is a good way to learn writing style. Well, what I want to know is whether - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

A few things:

If you are planning to ape/homage an author's specific style, make sure that you're doing so for more than just because it's fun. Why do you want to ape/homage their style? Are you commenting on or pushing forward that style by doing so? Nothing is more annoying than seeing/reading a work and being like, "this reminds me of X. I think I'll just read X instead" or when asking the author why their style is so similar to another's and them responding with, "because it's fun.".
Yes, if you read, for example, Kurt Vonahgut and Arthur C. Clark long enough, you're style will eventually imitate theirs; however, you should not rely solely on that. Make your style your own.
The best way to imitate your influences' styles without ripping them off is to understand and study them (which sort of leads back to 1).
You'll internalize your influences' styles by merely consuming their work (you don't need to study their style to have it woven into yours as an influence)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best