logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Skill with Cadence/Rhythm I think that in order to give the reader a pleasurable experience, prose needs to be harmonious at minimum, and rhythmic at best. The best expository prose flows smoothly;

Goswami879 @Goswami879

Posted in: #Cadence #Rhythm #Skill #Talent

I think that in order to give the reader a pleasurable experience, prose needs to be harmonious at minimum, and rhythmic at best. The best expository prose flows smoothly; and in my opinion, the best speeches move the audience with a powerful cadence, which, although poetic, still sounds like a human’s speech. Many of the epistles of Paul the Apostle in the KJV sound cadenced/rhythmic, but they still sound like Paul as a human being.
But not everyone seems able to write smoothly or rhythmically. This is not to insult anyone, but writing with harmony and rhythm are one of the skills that writers need to learn, and I am one of them. Even though I seem to manage it sometimes, many times I struggle to write with rhythm. In the first place, I grapple with imagining certain kinds of prosaic rhythms.
I think I lack the ability to yield certain kinds of cadence/rhythms, even though in the past I was able to do it. I want to know how this facility can be developed, if it is even a skill that can be learned. I know that rhythm is created by a run of stressed and unstressed syllables. But exactly which combination of those kinds of syllables makes a rhythm I like is one thing I struggle to imagine.
So, do you think there is a way for people who lack rhythmic talent to develop it as a skill? Or is it an ability you must be born with?
As for whether or not I have rhythmic talent, I don’t know. But for some reason I lack the ability lately.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme