bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it ok to begin an essay/report with a quote? I am writing an essay on project management within IT and in my introduction I will give a brief description of project management, to being - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

I am writing an essay on project management within IT and in my introduction I will give a brief description of project management, to being my essay I was looking at using one of these:

Project management is 'A unique set of co-ordinated activities, with definite starting and finishing points, undertaken by an individual
or organisation to meet specific objectives within a defined schedule of cost and performance parameters'
Almost by definition, innovation relies on project management (Wheatley 2004)

Would either (#1 vs #2 ) of these quotes be an appropriate way to start an essay?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It is a good idea to begin an essay with some interesting quotes or sentences. You have to make your starting sentence attractive to grab the reader's attention.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The opening words of an essay should immediately enmesh the reader in your wiles. Purpose-written paragraphs have broader latitude to do so than have found quotations. To start with a quote is not wrong, but you may do better, as onomatomaniak suggested, to "think of an engaging first sentence that makes the reader think you have something interesting to say."

Aside from limiting range of expression, starting with a quote requires attribution (crediting the source of the quote) which may cause the reader to look aside, to a footnote or a bibliography, during that important first moment with your essay.

I'm sure great essays can be started with quotations, because there are so many great quotes to be found, and I hope someone will present examples. But you often have more freedom of expression and can get to the point more quickly without one.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There are pros and cons to starting off with something attributed to someone else.

It can lead the audience to expect something derivative so you really have to work to demonstrate why your ideas are either supported by the quote or can refute it - depending on your aims.

You may also use quotes to carefully point out the main idea of essay/report for the reader or to make a good statement right from the beginning to make your essay interesting and relevant.

I could not provide you with some examples but feel free to google it.
and also check out some essay writing tips like this or this

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Yes, I suppose, especially, the second quote. By the way, you did not attribute the first quote to anyone.

Load Full (0)