logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Can I write a different book before my sequel? I am just about done writing the first book in a series. I have an idea for the next book in that series (let's call it "book a"),

Vandalay250 @Vandalay250

Posted in: #Sequel #Series

I am just about done writing the first book in a series. I have an idea for the next book in that series (let's call it "book a"), but I also have another idea brewing in my mind which takes place in another universe (let's call it "book b"). I want to write "book b" badly, but I feel I should get my first series over and done with. I feel like starting another before then might confuse me. To be clear, I do enjoy writing about the universe of "book a" a lot, so I'm not quite sure what to do right now.
Is it advisable to begin writing a book in an unrelated series before finishing my first series?
If my wording was too confusing, let me know and I'll try to help. :)

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Correia211

Correia211 @Correia211

This happens all the time.
Brandon Sanderson currently has over half a dozen book series going on that he's already started on: Mistborn, Stormlight Archives, Skyward, Alcatraz, Rithmatist, Elantris and Warbreaker. And I'm not even including the books that he has plans for outside of these series.
Jim Butcher is working on the Dresden Files and Cinder Spires alternatingly and has expressed desire to write a sequel series to Codex Alera.
Agatha Christie wrote 66 detective novels spread over at least 5 series.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Write what you want to write. In fact, writing a book in a different setting can be a good place to introduce some ideas you don't think you can fit in your first setting.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Smith147

Smith147 @Smith147

It's Probably a Good Idea!
Having followed a number of your questions, I have to say that until you get a literary success with a series, you don't need to stress too much about producing a sequel. Once you are recognized and followed for a series, you may not want to disappoint fans. In the meanwhile, a completely different storyline is an opportunity to gain fame and success that could boost your other works. A good standalone story that gains you attention means people will be more likely to want to read an AnnWriter story like your series. Plus, if your first novel doesn't get immediate acclaim, you have the other story well in process.
Take it as an opportunity to percolate the story for your series, and gain some writing experience outside your series. You may come back to your series realizing there is something you want to do differently. You may reread your first story after a second book and say "OMG, what was I thinking!" and rewrite parts of it, making it a lot better. Meanwhile, work on the edits and feedback from your first novel while expending that burning passion on the new one (editing and writing can be very different).
Don't let passion go to waste! The book A universe isn't going anywhere, it will be there when you return from universe B.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Fox6458700

Fox6458700 @Fox6458700

Of course you can do that.
Many top authors have several series going at once.
Some authors may write 20+ novels in a series, but that does not mean they have to finish all of them before they can write books in a separate series, or even a stand alone book.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme