logo selfpublishingguru.com

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Megan928

Megan928 @Megan928

This may not be an exact answer to your question, but:

Don't forget that you don't always need an agent (in fact, depending on the agent and your situation, it can be a lot worse than having no agent).

You need to read a bit about what exactly an agent can do for you and decide what kind of agent you want to hire.

Also be aware that some "agents" advertising on line are 100% scam ("hey, I can make you a star, pay me an up-front fee!" then nothing).

There is a lot of good info out there from very experienced authors, especially two articles by Dean Wesley Smith:
www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=720 (this is the second one, but the other is linked in it)

And this Writing Excuses podcast:
www.writingexcuses.com/2010/01/31/

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Frith254

Frith254 @Frith254

I have to add a few things to Randomman's answer:

If you have that list, check if the agents are reputable! Google them. There are a lot of black sheep out there.
Go to the homepage of authors of the same category you write in. Some are mentioning their agents.
Follow Vatine's advice in his comment to Randomman's answer. If you do not find a guideline, do not send anything to them without asking. First write an email and ask for permission, if they are interested in your stuff.
If they have no formatting guidelines, look up the industry standard, how your sample chapter and synopsis should be formatted. (In Germany it's the maximum of 30 lines a page with 60 characters each line in Courier, but that could differ in your country.)

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Samaraweera193

Samaraweera193 @Samaraweera193

I seem to recall that either Writers Digest or Writers Market keeps a list you can subscribe to of agents, what genres they work in, query guidelines, etc.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Jessie137

Jessie137 @Jessie137

Try and find a list of agents who write in your genre. Check out their websites!
Find out if they are accepting new clients. If they aren't, then check out another agent. But if they are, try sending them a few chapters from your story, a brief, and a short cover letter asking them to represent you.

In the cover letter mention your previous publication credits. If sent via post, then I suggest you give them a means of reply, whether it be an email or a stamped, addressed envelope.

Agents will try their best to improve your chances of getting a book published.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme