bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Indirect reference following brackets in scientific literature I've got a bracketed reference in a scientific manuscript I'm writing, that immediately follows bracketed text like so: ...rather than - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I've got a bracketed reference in a scientific manuscript I'm writing, that immediately follows bracketed text like so:
...rather than visiting flowers that were in ‘same scent’ group (same scent and different colour to the rewarding flower group) (Figure 1).
Is this considered grammatically incorrect?
It doesn't look right to me, but I'm not sure how I could correct it, if I need to. I could directly reference the figure earlier on in the sentence, but it would be more convenient for my writing if I could fix the issue at the end of the sentence.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I don't think this usage is grammatically incorrect, though it may not be best practices. But it's easily fixed. You can merge the parentheticals, like so:

..rather than visiting flowers that were in ‘same scent’ group (same
scent and different colour to the rewarding flower group. See Figure
1).

or remove the first:

..rather than visiting flowers that were in ‘same scent’ group: same
scent and different colour to the rewarding flower group. (Figure 1)

which you would do depends on whether the figure in question is more closely relates to the parenthetical or to the statement as a whole.

Load Full (0)