logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How should I go about introducing character as a long forgotten friend? I am having the main protagonist find their imaginary friend that they had previously forgotten. How would I make some

Sims2267584 @Sims2267584

Posted in: #Backstory #CharacterDevelopment #Fiction #Viewpoint

I am having the main protagonist find their imaginary friend that they had previously forgotten. How would I make some flashbacks without making the plot too confusing or having it sound choppy and forced? How would I go about this in such a way that the reader will understand what's going on, without boring them. What point of view should the flashbacks be in?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Cugini967

Cugini967 @Cugini967

Like @Ceramicmrn0b says, you have to make the flashback obvious. it should be in a different paragraph for starters, maybe even after a page break. If you want to go all-in, you could possibly do a new chapter if your book is structured that way, but I wouldn't recommend it.
As for the point of view that you choose, that is entirely up to you. YOu can read books with flashbacks in them, (like one of my personal favorites, Flowers for Algernon) or just dive in ( a good link to check out is this one, it explains the flashback a bit). A word of advice on whichever POV you choose: Don't use second-person POV. It's very confusing jumping into another point of view (I'm guessing) and having it so starkly different from your book. Most novels are written in first or third-person point of view, and I would keep it that way for the flashbacks--unless you have good reason not to.
The bottom line is this: Make the flashbacks obvious and make them separate. after those two things are done, you have a pretty good start to a flashback.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Sarah872

Sarah872 @Sarah872

If you want to do the flashbacks, make sure the reader knows that it is a flashback. I would do this with a line of a few asterisks and then begin flashback and end the same way, this way it has a very clear end and beginning of the flashback.
I wouldn't do really short flashbacks this way, in which case you should say something along the lines of 'Bob suddenly remembered X, the images flashing in front of his eyes. (insert remembered thing here)'.
The book 'The Last Thing I Remember' by Andrew Klavan does these flashbacks really well and might be worth a look.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme