logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : A good way to transition different character perspectives In my story, there are three character perspectives that switch off every chapter. What is a good way to lead from one character perspective

Berryessa137 @Berryessa137

Posted in: #Characters #Perspective

In my story, there are three character perspectives that switch off every chapter. What is a good way to lead from one character perspective to the next? Should I overlap the chapters so one character relives one scene from the last chapter but from their point of view?

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Holmes449

Holmes449 @Holmes449

Showing the same scene twice, from two different points of view, is a rare technique for good reason. Only do it if for some reason it is vitally importantly that the reader know about the subjective reactions of both characters, and it is not feasible to use an omniscient point of view that can depict both at once. It can be hard to pull off even then because it's rehashing the same territory. Also, in my experience, it can be hard to pull off without being jarring.
The important thing to remember is to make the point of view clear when it switches. This is more important the larger the chunk in each point of view is. When it's as large as a chapter, you can do it by something as simple as putting the point of view character on each chapter. Another technique is to put the point of view character's thoughts on something in the opening paragraphs.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@XinRu607

XinRu607 @XinRu607

No. Just build off of what the other characters have seen from their point of view in your next chapter. For instance, if John saw Jack and Mike fighting the demon from afar, then in the next chapter, from Mike's perspective, you see what the after experience of fighting the demon was. In this way you don't repeat plot that has already happened and by avoiding that, you don't bore the reader with constant repetition.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme