bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Words use to describe racing heartbeat I think that it is too simple just to use "my heart pounded." I prefer something a little bit more elaborated. What sentence can I use besides - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I think that it is too simple just to use "my heart pounded." I prefer something a little bit more elaborated. What sentence can I use besides from "my heart pounded?" Maybe you can include your own paragraph, or borrow a paragraph from a published work. I plan to use these answers for inspiration in my own novel.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Other than synonyms (e.g. thump instead of pound or gallop instead of race), you could also use comparison, e.g. "My heart was beating so loudly I thought they would hear it for sure." Also, instead of describing the heart beat, you could also describe the blood flow. For example, it could be rushing in their ears, or their pulse could pound in their wrists or neck instead.
Or you could describe the feeling of excitement or fear in entirely different terms:
Maybe the character's mouth is going dry, and they're finding themselves swallowing nervously. If they're having trouble breathing (too shallow, too fast), their vision might go woozy. Maybe sweat is dripping into their eyes, or they're wiping their sweaty hands on their shirt. Maybe their knees are shaking, or they're otherwise starting to feel a bit wobbly. Maybe every little creak suddenly sounds a thousand times louder. Maybe time is crawling to a slow-down.

Load Full (0)