logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Terminology: writer's block Does the term "writer's block" refer to the condition in which the author not having anything to write, or has the material but unable to put it in words

Yeniel532 @Yeniel532

Posted in: #Terminology #WritersBlock

Does the term "writer's block" refer to the condition in which the author not having anything to write, or has the material but unable to put it in words in the way he wants; or both?

10.05% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (5) Report

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Chiappetta298

Chiappetta298 @Chiappetta298

It can be either of those, but it's usually the second one (the writer has the material, but is unable to put it into words in the way they want).

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Holmes449

Holmes449 @Holmes449

It can mean either. Therefore, it's unwise to merely speak of "writer's block" unless either meaning can apply, or it's clear which you mean.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Hamaas631

Hamaas631 @Hamaas631

In my opinion, it can be both - the clear indication is that the author has a desire and makes some effort to write - but can't.
This can be opposed to an author on a "sabbatical", who maybe thinks it's a nice idea to finish some of the works or start a new one, but makes no effort to do so. Procrastination, imho, is not a writer's block, however some people may think otherwise.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cody1607638

Cody1607638 @Cody1607638

I'd say it can be both, and that people using the term don't diiferentiate between the two meanings.

I'm not an author, but I do write software. I've been doing that for a very long time.
I've had days where I would write the structure of some program or class or whatever, then just sit there and stare at it and want to puke because it looked just like what I did yesterday or the week before. You want to get on to the interesting part of implementing new functions, and here's this pile of boiler plate that you have to slap down before you can get started. It sits there, staring at you and daring you to do something new - and your mind just goes blank. I have to find something else to work on for a while (fix a bug, or track down the cause of a problem somewhere) before I can face that screen full of mocking boiler plate again.
I'd imagine authors get the same thing, as well as having the other problem - the need to write to meet a deadline (or other reason,) and there's not a single damn idea or word to be had.

Another way I have of dealing with that screen full of mocking boiler plate is to not write it. Scribble the interesting parts together first, then go back and pack them in the needed boiler plate junk so that you can use it.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@XinRu607

XinRu607 @XinRu607

I'm 90% sure it means the first one, where you sit down to write, touch the pencil to the paper, and then you mind just goes blank. Sorry this is such a short answer, but I think that's about all there is to say.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme