bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Using alternative phrases to "meanwhile" or "elsewhen" to describe a non-linear flow of time as two consecutive events I am currently writing a "time-travel" themed story that is more - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Two things you should know about time travel; 1- it's confusing sometimes. 2- its really really confusing the rest of the time.
I wouldn't use meanwhile between time jumps, or at least not to follow the time machine because where the time machine is going is probably not happening around the same time the time machine exited time. I would use 'X years before,'. BUT you seem to be doing this pretty well, so I think you using meanwhile will work well for you.
But you want substitutions, so here's a few ideas. Mostly unrelated, but this worldbuilding question might help a bit in other areas of your story.
Besides the 'X years ago', maybe you could start adding a sort of little text bit between each jump as the computer checks all the information or whatever to make sure it's working right. This could include the time it's jumping to, as well as any damages it's taken if that comes into your story at any point. If you don't like the text, maybe the time machine has a speaker it uses to tell the passengers the next stop. Might not keep the flow as it's a break in the story, but it's a thought.
Possibly whenever you do a time jump, you have to do a space jump as well to get at the right spot. Before you space jump though, you check what time you are at, correct if needed, then space jump to the part of earth you want. If you want to get really technical, then if you time travel back three months you'll be sitting in space as the earth hasn't yet gotten to that part of it's orbit yet.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best