bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: State of the art proof reading tools/methods While my skills of expression are okay, being able to observe errors within my own writing is truly lacking. The only methods I've found to be of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

So you need a non-human external proofreader? Good luck with that.

There are some websites that may help, but I think it's going to come down to human eyes, in the end. But before that, you could try good old MS Word's spelling and grammar check. It's often wrong, but it's right often enough that you should at least consider its suggestions. I've also heard good things about Stylewriter, but the few times I've used it myself, I didn't find it significantly better than MS Word.

But that doesn't mean that technology can't help you proofread for yourself. Play with the font (size and style and colour), change the columns, even change the screen if you can (read on your e-reader, for example) as a way to freshen your perspective without waiting quite as long between readings.

You may also want to use some text-to-speech software to have the work read to you. You'll pick up on things through your ears that your eyes allow you to gloss over. (Obviously this won't catch homonyms or some other errors).

For non-technical tricks, try printing out your work, reading it backward, and learning and starting to search out the most common errors that you make so you can work to catch them more efficiently.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best