logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Characters with no names I've got a few short stories going, and I've foregone naming any of my characters. It started because I just didn't have any good names in my head and I was going

Berumen699 @Berumen699

I am young author writing a fantasy series, and I can say that I’ve DEFINITELY run into the same problem. For the characters in my world, their name needs to be more than something I just choose. For example, the elves in my story get their elements in other languages for names.

Zerua, sky elf, name means sky.
Lleaud, moon elf, name means moon.
Rana, sun elf, name means sun.

For my other characters however (humans, dwarfs, giants, dragons... etc.) Their names took a lot longer. For them, especially the dwarfs and giants, I developed their entire culture and city-state first. Then, based on their culture and their amount of intelligence and their character, personality, home life, friends, pretty much everything I know about them, I think for hours of their perfect name.
For human names, I scroll through hundreds of names online until I find one that fits the character’s personality perfectly. If the name is less then perfect for the character, I don’t even give it a second glance.
I have a feeling you don’t need to do all this for a few short stories, but for the other people viewing this question it might be helpful.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme