bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is writing a light read or "chick lit" a good option for an aspiring literary fiction author? I live in India and here light reads and "chick lit" have made a great impression. The youth - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you're worried about reader perception, use a pseudonym.

But I don't think that one genre is easier than another, which seems to be the assumption behind your question. I think each writer needs to look at his or her own strengths and interests, and work within those. Someone whose preferences and style run to literary fiction will have serious trouble writing a successful Romance, just as someone whose strengths are a good match for Romance will have trouble writing literary fiction.

What are these strengths and weaknesses? Well, I'm not sure--maybe it should be another question on this board! In my experience, Romance requires a strong understanding of characterization and the ability to write simple, clean prose. Romances may have the reputation of being the home of 'purple prose', but I think most modern readers shy away from over-written stories, and prefer more simple, straightforward language. Subgenres within Romance will have their own requirements, of course.

So, if you want to write Chick Lit, write Chick Lit. If you want to write in more than one genre, write in more than one genre, using pseudonyms as necessary. But don't force yourself to write something you're not comfortable with in the interest of increasing sales; readers of all genres want well-written work by someone who's an expert in the genre.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best