bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Best text procesor-- keyboard focussed UI I am a programmer by profession and am looking for good text processors to help me with my blog writing. Word (MS/OpenOffice) has felt too clunky, because - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I am a programmer by profession and am looking for good text processors to help me with my blog writing. Word (MS/OpenOffice) has felt too clunky, because of the interruptions (corrections,formatting etc....) it throws up while writing. I tried out VIM which is my workplace editor, and though it has been great in letting me think clear and write, I just haven't been able to use it for efficient formatting. I'm now looking for something that can combine both. Is there one you would recommend? I would prefer to do the formatting/rewriting from the keyboard without having to go to the mouse but am flexible about that part. I also want something that doesn't make me wait a few seconds while it's saving the text. (i.e: light and responsive) Any suggestions ?

Update: I use Linux for all my work and don't have a Windows.
UPDATE 2: After trying out some of these, I'm going with VIM itself and using latex for formatting. Only problem is that's fine for latex2pdf but otherwise Wordpress supports only latex math package. I'll need to find a different blog host or try latex2html. I'll update once I'm done with that.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I've heard good things about LyX, but haven't actually used it. I don't know LaTeX either.

Whatever editor you settle on, I would recommend checking out AutoKey.
code.google.com/p/autokey/
It will allow you to add many useful features to your text processor (or any other program). Its phrases feature can be used to insert words/phrases, code skeletons, HTML, and boilerplates.

Its functions can do almost anything - limited only by your knowledge of python (you mentioned you were a programmer). It communicates with your application through the keyboard interface, so your application can't tell it's not you typing. You don't have to configure anything.

It has a macro recorder function, so you can build simple functions without any coding or knowing python.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Every time I've gone looking for a simple solution such as the one you're looking for, I've come across Emacs with all kinds of nifty attachments/macros that people have developed over the years.

Here is a fairly thorough rundown of some options you have for building a system that works.

Also, take a look at this question for more info/discussion of using Emacs for writing.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you're interested in TeX but do not want to type things like begin{} and whatever, you could take a look at LyX.

It is a What You Mean Is What You Get editor (not What You See Is What You Get), based on LaTeX and it doesn't keep you busy with appearance and formatting.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I have been using TextPad for well over a decade. It is light, responsive, and very flexible as far as using the built-in keyboard shortcuts or designing your own. I'm not sure what kind of formatting you have in mind, but TextPad can probably handle it!

Load Full (0)