bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Help creating an ebook Does anyone have some experience creating ebooks? I have a book that I want to create an ebook from; I considered converting the book, but after trying, it produced very - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Does anyone have some experience creating ebooks?
I have a book that I want to create an ebook from; I considered converting the book, but after trying, it produced very poor results, because the original had a lot of math and custom formatting in it.

Anyone able to help?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

To answer the first question, yes, I have considerable experience in creating e-books. So far I have created about twenty for myself (under my name and a pen name), and I have also created another dozen or so for others.

The basic problem you will run into is that most e-book formats are basically using html to render the content, and most of the software tools out there tend to add a lot of unnecessary html code that confuses the different e-book readers. Also, they don't do a good job of converting special characters, such as those you might use in a mathematical formula, and they don't do well in converting images.

You always have the option of doing a screen print of your formulas and embedding them as images. The problem with that is getting the right size and format for the images. Since people can now read e-books on their phones, tablets, or computers, you never know what size the screen is going to be, so optimizing the image can be a major problem.

The best way to ensure that you maintain your current formatting and appearance is to convert everything to html first. Then you can use a tool like Calibre (which is free and easy to use) to convert the html to different e-book formats. I strongly recommend a series of articles by Guido Henkel that will walk you through most of the information you need to format your document. You may have to do some research to find the html tags for certain formulas, but most of the rest is addressed pretty well in his series.

Load Full (0)