bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : A friendlier way to write charges or fees to clients? What is a better way to write in an email to tell my client that I will charge him a fee of say 0? Often, I feel very reluctant - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

What is a better way to write in an email to tell my client that I will charge him a fee of say 0? Often, I feel very reluctant to write these ways:

I will quote the hosting and development fees at 0.

This sounds totally crappy.

I will give you a quote of 0 for the development and web hosting.

This doesn't sound very polite. It sounds like the client owes me something.

The total charges/fees for the development and hosting is 0.

[OR]

The cost of the development and hosting is 0. / The hosting and development will cost 0.

[OR]

The hosting and development are charged at 0.

Sounds more direct but still, the tone isn't very friendly. Feels like the relationship between the client and me is still at a "stranger" stage.

What are some ways or examples to write in an email a quotation that I would like to charge my client, which sometimes is a sensitive thing, in a friendlier manner?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

There are two elements of a quote for which clarity is far more important than friendliness:

The description of your services.
The statement of your fees.

If you like, make everything else in your message friendly. But write the description of your services clearly. Then write a short line like this:

My fee for these services is 0.

None of that "I will quote" or "I will give you a quote" blather. That's filler.

Also consider whether friendliness is what you really want. You and this client are strangers, and this client wants you not as a friend, but as someone who can provide a service they need. The client may read a friendly message as wishy-washy, or presumptuous.

It's hard to establish the tone of a relationship through text. If you want to make your relationship more person, have a phone call or two, and be personable. That will establish a relationship, and the relationship will set the context in which the client reads your email messages. If the relationship is friendly, the client will read the message in a friendly tone.

But whatever you choose to do, when it comes to the terms of your agreement, favor directness and clarity over friendliness.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

"The cost of the development and hosting is 0. / The hosting and development will cost 0" are both fine.

I also use "I estimate the hosting and development will cost 0" if it's genuinely an estimate which might change.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you know the person you are writing to and if he or she is friendly with you, you can add a simple smiley like this :) at the end of your statement to make it friendly.
But not to those clients, you have just started to work with.

Load Full (0)