bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to concentrate when writing? I looked through the questions and didn't see this one so hopefully it's not a duplicate. I often have ideas of stories I want to write and I work on outlines - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I wouldn't recommend medication, as it seems that the concentration issues are specific to writing and these are usually short term solutions with long-term negative effects/side-effects. But perhaps the following aspects, dealing with organization, structure, and anxiety, might help:

Organization

I'd recommend Silvia's "How to Write a Lot" (Silvia, P. J. (2007). How to Write a Lot. Washington D.C.: APA.). It's written for academic writing, but I think that most of the tips are also helpful for any kind of writing. Chapter 2 deals with "Specious Barriers to Writing a Lot":

I can't find time to write. => Treat it like any other appointment you cannot skip, e.g., teaching, and make and defend the time. Regularity makes it count, not the pure number of hours.
Need some more analysis first. => Treat it as part of the writing process in the allotted time.
Need better X (computer, printer, desk). => Not necessary, "only making a schedule and sticking to it" will help.
Waiting for Inspiration => Cites a study which has shown that inspiration is not necessary, neither for quantity nor quality. He cites Keyes with "Serious writers write, inspired or not. Over time they discover that routine is a better friend to them than inspiration."

He manages to examine these "barriers" and pretty much obliterate them -- mostly by recommending said scheduling and sticking to it. I'd try this first, because having time slot allocated for writing can really help to actually write.

Structure

It it is still an issue, for me, most of the problems with concentration while writing (i.e., if I have managed the steps above) are due to a lack of structure. Once that is clear, writing goes more or less smoothly. So, perhaps you might invest more time in the outlining process (prior to writing, including capturing ideas to have enough material to work with). For me, this step comes prior to writing, but is part of the writing process.

More about outlining here (links to my blog):

Content Outlines: www.organizingcreativity.com/2012/02/how-to-create-a-content-outline-in-circus-ponies-notebook/ Outliner Comparison Scrivener vs. CPN: www.organizingcreativity.com/2012/02/outliner-in-scrivener-vs-outliner-in-cpn-structure-scrivener-vs-content-cpn-outlines/

Anxiety

There is also the anxiety that the writing might be bad -- self-doubt is devastating here, especially if you love writing. Personally, allowing myself to be a beginner (even as an adult) has helped me -- I don't expect perfection. The good thing with writing is that you can revise your drafts, and as Lamott said (in Lamott, A. (1994). bird by bird. New York: Anchor Books. also a great book), allow yourself to write a "shitty first draft". You improve it in the second version, and make it good in the third. Take in mind that you alone decide if and when to seek feedback, and make sure that you get good feedback, i.e., feedback that actually improves your current and future work.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelton455

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best