bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Explaining that experience is far greater than official job title implies Hopefully this meets the FAQ under the 'Non-fiction, technical' section. I work as a Graphic Designer, but I want to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I agree with Lauren Ipsum's answer. Some additional points:

The paragraph you posted for the cover letter talks about what you want to do, but you've actually done this. Call that out; lots of people have aspirations, but you've got solid experience. Consider working in something like the following:

My current position allows me to go beyond the traditional scope of a graphic-design position. I work directly with customers to do (thing) and (thing), demonstrating my creativity, flexibility, and knowledge of (domain). (Something about positive customer reactions.)

Second, on the resume itself, make sure you call this out. I have been in positions where my official job title was "technical writer" but I was doing programming, technical leadership, and project management besides. On my resume I address this in two ways: first, I have a section up front called "key qualifications" that talks about what I'm good at (the "functional resume" approach). Second, in the job-listing section, I add summary notes right after the job title, like this:

Company, dates
Senior Technical Writer (programming, interface design, team leadership, documentation)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this has worked for me, though I have not been on the market in the last few years so I'm not as up on current trends.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best