bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Are there any good tablets out there for writing/editing? I like being able to take my work anywhere with me, but sometimes my laptop is just too big to take with me. Battery life on tablets - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Just writing, no bells, whistles, games, internet?

HP LX200 (it's a clamshell XT). Load it with WORD 5 for DOS or VDE editor, better yet with a few nifty editing Macros and you can beat the crap out of any Tablet (Mac or Android)... even though it's antiquated and superannuated.

Or go back to the PSION 5MX (but with a fixed up third party flat cable). Marvelous little clamshell.

Tablets are NOT for writers/editors. There's no DEL (or CANC). You can't create simple editing Macros.

I went to a Tablet store taking my 1992 HP LX200 - DOS!! with absurdly slow XT engine (the stone age!) and CHALLENGED them to do better / faster, promising them to pay twice the price on any modern handheld gizmo that could do better in terms of ease, speed on a simple paragraph translation.

Sure, no Angry Birds, no flying in formation with a friend in Singapore, no Internet... I'm talking just about writing / editing work. First draft stuff . WORK.

They stopped snickering when I beat the pants off them...

They got upset and figured I was a crank. But on the same text, they were still poking their fingers on the screen and highlight with their index fingers, while I used the rich editing features of old WORD 5 for DOS to do the same things at blazing speed. I shouted: "Done!" and they were still pecking and poking...

Sure, I have a tablet (HTC Flyer) and I love it to pieces, but when I'm in a hurry and I don't want to be chained to a real computer with a real and proper keyboard (still the fastest way to go), my ancient hardware / software is at least 8 times more productive than Ipad or Android.

This ticks me off, because I'd love to bury the old machine... but there's nothing modern in the handheld - walking-and-typing that comes close...

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best