bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Creating a compelling story from a prebuilt world I have during the last couple of years developed a fantasy world. It's a hobby project I work on when I have the time. Every now and again - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As you have discovered, creating a world is one of the least important things in writing a book. As Holly Lisle has written (though I can't find the source now), this is a mistake new authors often make.

But don't worry, all hope is not yet lost. :) Here's what to do:

Create a main character, and give him a big challenge. Give him/her something they must have, and then put the most powerful force in the world against them.
You must also create a few more other important characters, with their own struggles, as I have found it is hard to write a novel length book with just one main character.
Create a list of 20-30 scenes, in each of which of the main characters tries to get what they want, while facing some hurdle. All the while, the story must still be moving forward.
Start writing. Only bring in the details of your world as and when needed. The readers don't care about the world, they only care about the story. But don't worry, your work hasn't been wasted, as you can use the world in other books. Terry Pratchett has been using his world for more than, what 30-40?, books now.

The key thing is to start writing, it doesn't matter what. If you have a book, no matter how rough, you can revise it, fix it, have others review it. If all you have is some notes, you can do nothing but fret.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Yeniel532

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best