bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How critical is selecting an imprint for a self-published book? I'm about to self-publish a book through CreateSpace and they want me to give them an imprint. (I know, I know, "you're not - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm about to self-publish a book through CreateSpace and they want me to give them an imprint.

(I know, I know, "you're not likely to make any money by self-publishing" and all that, but for the sake of this question, let's assume that I'll be able to bring in a few hundred sales per month because of green space magic.)

I purchased my own ISBN for the book through Bowker, and it looks like I'm supposed to send Bowker a request for an imprint name for the book, which they would approve and then I'd submit to CreateSpace.

So my question is, how much effort do I need to put in to selecting an imprint? Is this a big deal, or should I not worry too much about it? Who will see it and when? (Does it show up on the inside of the book? On Amazon?)

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

An imprint is basically the name of the publisher. CreateSpace gives you a few different options when it comes to assigning an ISBN to your book. You can obtain one for free from them, in which case CreateSpace is identifed as the publisher. If you obtain your own ISBN, then you can identify who the publisher of record is that will be associated with that ISBN. This can be yourself, it can be a publishing company you create yourself, or it can be a ficticious name that isn't even a business at all. However, if you later decide to change that for whatever reason, you will need to obtain a new ISBN. You can think of it as the unique bar code for that particular product. If you change anything on the cover, including the name of the publisher, then you have to change the ISBN.

You can find more information on the CreateSpace community forums, but here is one post in particular that applies to your question.

Load Full (0)