bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How important is it to know the end before the writing the beginning? One of the Rules of writing indicates that knowing the end before the beginning is critical to writing. Which I find odd, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would just like to add an "it depends..." clause.

For short and shorter stories, I believe that freewriting is the way to go. Follow the story where it goes and chronicle events as they unfold. Sometimes you can get a little lost but, heck, that's what rewrites are for.

But novels are much larger and less agile beasts; it might be better to treat them like a loosely scripted improv. For weeks ahead of time, you can do all of the freewriting you want in your head or in little brainstorm bubbles or whatever works. But get at least a solid framework of rough sketches in place. Yes, you should know what happens in the end and you need to be prepared for it. So do your characters.

Then all you need to do is to take those rough sketches to sit down and plan out the framework. Then break each bite size chunk into chapters and give each chapter a set mission to accomplish: "In Chapter 3 Mark discovers his friend's dead body hanging from the rafters. It must have been suicide. Something isn't right but Mark just can't put his finger on it. The cops are called and the elderly neighbor lady refuses to leave, claiming it was 'them terrists'."

The 'rules', 'commandments' what have you are there for a reason -- they work. You can play them fast and loose. Just don't throw out the book.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best