bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Tools for generating characters' names I found this name generator: http://www.fakenamegenerator.com And I'm wondering if maybe there are others? Has anybody found this kind of tool useful? What - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I just use the wiki list's most popular names database: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_popular_given_names which gives you a breakdown of names by Region and country.

For US names, particularly if you are needing a historically accurate name for a specific time frame, I use the Social Security name database: www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/century.html to make sure a name is not too unusual for the time of the story. For example, "Lisa" is a great name to use for a story about someone born between 1960-1975 or so, but would be somewhat unusual for a person born in 1950 or 2010 to have the name. Similarly, while "Jayden" has been popular these past couple of years, it wouldn't be a common name in a story set in the 1980's or for an adult to have in a story set in our current time.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pope4766717

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best