bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Issues with Scene/Sequel model I'm using the Scene/Sequel model to go from an informal outline of my novel to a list of scenes. In summary, during a Scene the POV Character has a Goal, encounters - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I am no expert, but I do not think it is a hard and fast rule.
As far as I have noted, the Scene/Sequel structure is used with the sole intention of driving the novel forward. This subsequent following of a Proactive scene (Scene) by a Reactive Scene (Sequel) is most of the time used to raise stakes.
In a thriller, the Reactive scenes are shorter because a thriller is generally fast paced. So you do have the authority to customize the paradigm. But certainly, do not do so to such an extent that it creates confusion and/or seem incompatible with the previous scene.
For your scene that you have described, let's plot it:
Proactive
Goal:
Conflict:
Disaster: Declared traitor.
Reactive
Reaction:
Dilemma:
Decision: resign and die.
And now here, if you insert a Proactive scene, According to me, there will be incompatibility. Instead, what i think you should do is, Followed by the decision of the reactive scene, give him the good news that he will not be executed and then insert a conflict followed by a dilemma and a decision and then continue with the paradigm.
So it becomes this:
Proactive
Goal:
Conflict:
Disaster: Declared traitor.
Reactive
Reaction:
Dilemma:
Decision: resign and die.
surprise : Will not be executed
Conflict : But...
Dilemma : So the choice is difficult between... <- you may omit this.
Decision : hence he will. <-this sets the goal for the following Proactive/Reactive sequence.
Proactive
Reactive
hope that helps! :)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best