logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What sections of the frontmatter are listed in the table of contents? There is a question about the correct order for thesis front matter. If I have those sections and some order, what of

Yeniel532 @Yeniel532

Posted in: #AcademicWriting #ScientificPublishing

There is a question about the correct order for thesis front matter. If I have those sections and some order, what of them is usually placed into the table of contents? While the main chapters surely have their entries in the table of contents, what do I do with abstract, list of supervisors, declaration of non-plagiarism, epigraph, preface, acknowledgements, dedication, preamble, ... ?

My institution does not have regulations regarding this, my advisor does not answer questions, and different publications handle things differently. I would like to know how it is done in English publications, of which I do not have a significant number. (I'm neither a native speaker nor located in a country with English as official language, but we are required to write in English.)

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Sue2132873

Sue2132873 @Sue2132873

As I understand it, the contents for an academic thesis would normally include the main work and appendices only, everything else being additional to the core work that others may wish to refer to.

If you look at the list in the previous question, the contents lists everything after itself. The items before are important, but mainly for the university - abstracts, declarations, acknowledgements etc are for the purpose of verifying and referencing the main work.

And if your supervisor doesn't answer questions then kick them. That is what they are there for, to help you prepare your thesis in the way that your examiners require.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme