bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What resources will teach me about the state of the art in technical writing? I've been asked to modernize some technical documentation - user manuals in particular. I have some guidelines, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I've been asked to modernize some technical documentation - user manuals in particular. I have some guidelines, but a lot of free rein to take it in whatever direction I think is worthwhile. Where can I look to learn what exactly is a good example of "modern" technical documentation? I'm interested in resources such as websites that describe best practices as well as resources for learning state-of-the-art tools.

I am interested in tools and specifically information on layout and organization.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

There are a few tech writing blogs and forums that I like. Joining STC is useful, though it costs 5 a year (0 if you graduated within the last three years). Membership includes access to both their publications. Intercom has a lot of best practices articles and information about new tools, while Technical Communications is their academic journal.

I'd Rather Be Writing - a blog about the latest trends in tech writing: idratherbewriting.com/
The Content Wrangler - a blog and community about managing content as a business asset thecontentwrangler.com/
E-mail lists or forums might be another good way to get information. TechWr-L (http://www.techwr-l.com/) is a good group with lots of knowledgeable people. You might find some good information going back through their archives with keywords like "IETM" or the names of specific tools you want to learn more about.

Load Full (0)