bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Common errors for a non-native English writer starting a blog in English? I am not a native English speaker, and I would like to start a blog in English. I cannot say that I have a lot - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I am not a native English speaker, and I would like to start a blog in English. I cannot say that I have a lot of experience blogging, but I had a blog in my native language for more than an year, and kept it up for around 200 posts. I feel I really want to give this a try.

The blog will be minimalist and on the technical side. I want posts to be fairly short, the equivalent of a page, but hopefully very thoughtful.

I'd like to learn from the lessons of others, how can I find out what these bloggers have done badly and what they've done well. Is there any information available on successful blogs written by non-native English writers, perhaps a study or a survey? What other sources of information can I seek out to obtain useful information?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Colloquialism.

Most successful blogs (technical or otherwise) are written as we speak, not as formally as news or media content. The trouble is, English learned from a book is not the same as English as it is spoken by native speakers.

If you think about the difference between what is spoken in the US versus Canada, or Australia versus New Zealand, you'll realize that every locality (no matter how geographically similar) develops its own regional dialect. This is perfectly natural, but doesn't make it any less of an issue.

The difference is even more marked when formal English is used in an informal setting. Directly translated metaphors can be funny, but not conducive to a thoughtful voice. The only way to correct this (without being able to live in the target area) is through experience - read, read, and read some more... specifically content catering to the same audience you wish to reach.

I do not know if there are any studies or surveys as you suggest, but to be honest, if a non-native English blogger were successful, who would know they weren't a native speaker?

Load Full (0)