bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a very complex relationship I am writing a webcomic, and have come upon a snag, I need two characters to like each other very much, but one is the slave of the other. In the comic, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The simplest answer is that there has to be something which bridges the divide between master and slave and allows them to see and respect one another as equals. Does she show mercy to the slave whom her slave has defeated? Does he disable rather than kill his opponents, or dispatch them quickly and without pain? Did she acquire him and thereby save him from execution? Does he love fighting and was slotted for something quiet and boring, and she rescued him from a worse fate?

Once you've established how they get past the initial barrier, the falling in love bit is like any other pairing.

I can suggest some homework. These are similar relationships, and you can see how they develop to figure out how to draw parallels with your own characters:

Transformation by Carol Berg: The two men don't fall in love, but they form a powerful friendship.

The Morgaine Saga by CJ Cherryh: The warrior isn't exactly the sorceress's slave, but he is bound to her service.

If you want to stretch it a bit, the title character of the BBC's "Merlin" is Arthur's servant but they decidedly do not have a servant-master relationship.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best