bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the "three-asterisk-break" section called? What is the name for a text subdivision that is shorter than a chapter, but longer than a paragraph? They are always untitled (unlike chapters, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

What is the name for a text subdivision that is shorter than a chapter, but longer than a paragraph? They are always untitled (unlike chapters, which are at the very least called "Chapter 1", "2" etc), and denoted with either three asterisks, a longer blank space between paragraphs, or some other fancy marks.

(specifically, I'm not asking about name for the break itself, but for the section of text delimited by such breaks.)

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It's also a sort of ellipsis signifying a break in narrative time.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In general, you would call this a section. For fiction, a scene (or maybe a sequence if the portion of text covers multiple scenes),

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In typesetting, this is sometimes called a 'dinkus' -- see here: www.thenewsmanual.net/Resources/glossary.html#D

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

A question was asked on English.SE about what the marks themselves are called.

The only answer there states that most marks that separate logical chunks of text, signaling a change in focus/time/characters (or whatever the main point of the writing is) are called 'section/scene separators'.

So I logically assume that bits of text they separate would be 'sections' or, more appropriately in fiction writing, 'scenes.'

As for my real-world experience, I've seen such marks (including a double paragraph break in more recent fiction publications) used to signal change in scenes (and therefore, time) with the connotation of 'this isn't as big a change as between chapters.'

Load Full (0)